When an entity owns multiple licenses, their name can end up being spelled multiple ways in the MobileMarketInfo license tables. In this example, we’ll use Lewis and Clark Communications and highlight two different ways their name might be spelled:
- Lewis and Clark Communications, L.L.C.
- Lewis and Clark Communications, LLC
The InStr command can be used to select instances of a substring from the *_LICENSE.Licensee field. Since InStr is case-sensitive, the UCase$ function should be used to convert entries to upper case for analysis.
The following example shows how to use InStr and UCase$ to find all instances of “Lewis and Clark” in the Licensee field of the PCS_LICENSE table:
- Click File > Open and open the PCS_LICENSE table.
- Click Query > SQL Select to open the SQL Select dialog.
- Enter PCS_LICENSE in the from Tables field.
- Enter the following statement in the where Condition window:
InStr(1,UCase$(Licensee),”LEWIS AND CLARK”)Figure 1. Querying license data by licensee name
- Click OK .
Query results are displayed in a browser window.